Booktrope–A New Approach To Publishing

PC: Booktrope.com

This sounded interesting and fresh to me, so wanted to share here. Of course we all know about the state of the traditional publishing industry today where it’s either a stroke of luck, or knowing the right people, or waiting forever for the manuscript to get off the slush pile. Then there is self-publishing. There’s more control but there are plenty of risks as well.

Booktrope, one of the startups at Y Combinator, is trying to make publishing more accessible and professional while reducing the risks to the author. Booktrope is like a publisher, but it allows authors to avoid the gatekeepers (to a large extent) and lets them team up with professional editors, designers etc.

That’s sounds nice. So, how does their system work exactly?

If you’re looking to publish a book, you can go on Booktrope and provide information about yourself and your work. Booktrope doesn’t accept every author–you have to go through their selection process–a mix of automation and human assessment. The company focuses on assessing if an author will be a good fit for the Booktrope platform. In other words, they are not self-appointed enforcers of literary quality, because they believe even poorly written books can do well when they’re discovered by their audience.

Once accepted into the system, you can then post your completed manuscript. Here’s where “Team Publishing” comes in–the idea is to attract interested collaborators with a promise of sharing royalties with them. That’s a great incentive right there for the team to make the book a success and it’s also less of a risk for the author since he doesn’t have to shell out his cash. Fresh, right?

Booktrope distributes both digital and print formats through the usual channels like Amazon etc and through subscription services like Scribd. Of the profits, Booktrope takes 30 percent and the team gets the remaining 70 percent, split according to their agreements.

It’s interesting so far, isn’t it? It is sort of a mix of a small publisher aided publishing with a bit of intellectual crowdfunding and profit-sharing thrown in.

And how have they done so far?

Until now (they’ve started a couple years ago), they’ve published nearly 400 titles and distributed 2.5 million copies of those books.

I’m thinking of submitting my information on Booktrope, just to see what happens. What about you? Willing to give Booktrope a try? Or pass?

S.G. Basu is an aspiring potentate of a galaxy or two. She plots and plans with wondrous machines, cybernetic robots, time travelers and telekinetic adventurers, some of whom escape into the pages of her books. Once upon a previous life on planet Earth, S.G. Basu trained to be an engineer, and her interest in science and her love of engineering shows up time and again in her books.

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in industry news, publishing news

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Click Below to Sign Up for My Newsletter and Get 3 FREE ebooks
My Amazon Bookstore
Sci-fi trivia hunter?
On Twitter
On Instagram

There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,400 other followers

%d bloggers like this: