The 4th was clearly not with me. Our internet backhaul went kaput and I was off everything. I did get some writing done, which is always great. My plan of sharing some Star Wars fun facts had to be shelved though.
I, unfortunately, had drafted most of the post already, only didn’t schedule to post automatically. Since it has already been crafted and contains such jewels (insert recycled laughter), that I couldn’t just throw it away. So, brace yourselves for the stale-by-a-day post. Well, at least it’s the 5th, so I can use the punny title.
- R2-D2’s name comes from the term REEL 2, DIALOG 2.
- Alec Guiness (Obi Wan Kenobi), thought of the Star Wars films as “fairy-tale rubbish”.
- Many of the buildings constructed to be used in shots of Tatooine are still standing in Tunisia. In fact, some of them are still used by locals.
- The Jawa language is based on a sped-up version of the Zulu language.
- Yoda’s species has never been named.
- The sound of the TIE Fighter engines is actually the sound of an elephant call mixed with the sounds of a car driving on wet pavement.
- George Lucas derived most names from languages on Earth–Darth Vader was from Dutch, Yoda was a variation on “warrior” in Sanskrit.
- The only characters that appear in all the films are C3PO and R2D2.
- The “Wilhelm Scream” is heard in every Star Wars movie.
- The sound effects for the Death Star’s turbo-lasers were created by striking a telephone pole suspension wire with a heavy pole.
- And thank goodness for this one–Harrison Ford asked that Han Solo die at the end of Empire during the carbon freezing process … but his request was denied by George Lucas.
I leave you now with this fun scene.
Hope the read was not as painful as the real “Revenge.”